Hey guys, the day draws nearer! I know I’m not doing anything huge here for the ol’ commercial holiday, but that’s not the same for everyone. Couples and those who are not in a relationship, can both enjoy this holiday! This post is one for the latter! Even though this is a hugely romanticized “holiday”, it doesn’t mean the same things to us all. And in fact, some may find things generally done on V-Day as cliche and corny.
While I’m not disagreeing with you, hypothetical new friend, I do think it can be fun and slightly cathartic to indulge yourself in the bright colors and saccharin sweetness of the day. I used to take myself out for the day, so I figured I’d share my favorite self care activities for the occasion!
- Youtube and Coffee – My favorite way to do this self care thing!
- De-Stress with some Yoga
- Soak up the sun
- Watch cartoons
- Take a bubble bath
- Treat yourself to candy
- Start a new craft
- Connect with a friend
- People watch at the mall
- Go to a new store and try things on that are outside of your comfort zone
- Make cocoa and watch documentaries
- Binge on Disney Movies
- Write out your stress
- Go thrifting
- Take yourself out for lunch
- Visit an arcade
- Take a ride with the windows down and the music up
- Seriously, this is so incredible. Last year I drove three hours for a speech, and even though I was stressed, there was something so freeing about just feeling the wind in hair. I was almost giddy by the time I got there and there were no nerves.
- Go downtown!
- Take the day off and play video games!
Despite Valentine’s Day being called “Singles Awareness Day” by some, there’s nothing wrong with being single. Sometimes being alone is fun. Who doesn’t enjoy blaring the music while alone in the car? Singing alone in the shower? As I’ve gotten a little older, I’ve begun really valuing and enjoying my own company. Dinner alone? Bring it. Solo Arcade? Done. Lone Festival enjoying a lovely view on the Ferris wheel with no interruptions? Yes, please.
I know, It can feel odd at first to go to lunch and hog a booth to yourself, but trust me. No one is looking, no one is making any judgements.
So, go forth my lone venturers and treat yourself! Heck, one thing I didn’t put on the list because it’s technically for the day after Valentines’, is two words: clearance candy. How’s that for some self care?